Friday, September 01, 2006

are you a deiphobe?


"Even the Christian must fear God. But it is another kind of fear. It is a fear rather of what might have been than of what is; it is a fear of what would come were we not in Christ. Without such fear there can be no true love; for love of the Saviour is proportioned to one’s horror of that from which man has been saved. And how strong are the lives that are suffused with such a love! They are lives brave, not because the realities of life have been ignored, but because they have first been faced — lives that are founded upon the solid foundation of God’s grace. May such lives be ours!" - J. Gresham Machen

2 comments:

MondoBeyondo said...

I love the Blog...

very nice.

please visit....

http://www.reform-shire.blogspot.com/

Brian Ring said...

Thanks! I checked out your site. We seem to be very similar, even down to the movies we like (although I haven't see Luther yet - I know, I know, it's high on my list of movies to see).

I liked the posts on your website, they're exactly what I would have posted!

I'm first a Christian, a Presbyterian (who would also hold to the 3 Forms), a lover of good Lutheran law/gospel preaching, an Amill, an historic Covenantalist (Horton, Riddlebarger), a big fan of Spurgeon, and a father of 3 who attends a great Calvinistic baptistic church, go figure! : )

Have you read God of Promise by Horton? If not, I highly recommend it, it's fantastic, I'm reading it through for the second time now.