Friday, February 15, 2008

living by grace - part 1


I'm starting a mini-series of posts on the book Living by Grace by William Hordern. The quotes aren't in order. They are quotes from sections that struck me as helpful or profound or both.

Evangelism or Loving One's Neighbor?

"Christians often debate among themselves as to what is the primary task of the Christian. Some argue that the Christian's first task is to spread the gospel, win converts, and to be an evangelist. Others argue that the Christian's first task is to perform acts of love for the neighbor. The debate is ironical in view of Jesus' words about letting our light shine before men.

Acts of evangelism and acts of love do not stand in contrast to each other. Acts of love may be a most effective means of evangelism. When an unbeliever sees a truly selfless concern for others in the life of a Christian he may well be led to seek the source of the power displayed by such a life. On the other hand, of course, if a Christian displays no love in his life, it is rather futile for him to preach about the love of God in Christ." - p.162

One might get the impression Hordern is saying 'actions speak louder than words'. But he's not. In the book he makes a strong case for the gospel being clearly communicated too. *We need to love our neighbors AND share the gospel.

*I do not doubt that God has used street evangelists, tracts, etc... in bringing people to Him. God is sovereign. But I tend to think that's not the norm...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Woo hoo!

I really am thrilled that you are getting good things out of this book.

I'l start carrying mine with me, and occasionally comment back on other things I find in my notes there...

Brian Ring said...

Thanks. Yes, I'm really into it. I don't always agree with everything, but for the most part, he's challenging and refreshing.

A way I mark books that doesn't interfere with future readings is to write a page # and brief comment on the inside front cover. That way, you have instant access to ALL your notes, without the messiness of marks on a page.

For example, a couple of my real notes on the IFC of the book are:

p.90 - sin as outward actions or sickness (condition)?

p.109 - faith = trust, NOT adhering to specific doctrines.